News:

Next Regular Club meeting at 7:30pm on Tuesday January 14th, 2014 at Beaverton Round Table Pizza.

Author Topic: Kaddie Shack  (Read 4498 times)

July 30, 2010, 12:50:25 PM

Offline CatBox

• Volkster
  • Hebmuller
  • Time to make the doughnuts....
This is a web site that I stumbled upon today that had usefull information on it for people like me that are running the Kadrons on their cars....

http://kaddieshack.com/

They rebuild, sell, and modify them along with tuning and after purchase support.  They also have some aftermarket gizmos for sale...

Check them out
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

July 30, 2010, 12:56:13 PM
Reply #1

Offline Matty

• Mark lV
and was always, AJ Sims and his crew:

http://www.lowbugget.com/main_page.html

August 13, 2010, 09:01:25 PM
Reply #2

Offline sdebaker

• Volkster
  • Mark ll
This is a web site that I stumbled upon today that had usefull information on it for people like me that are running the Kadrons on their cars....

http://kaddieshack.com/

They rebuild, sell, and modify them along with tuning and after purchase support.  They also have some aftermarket gizmos for sale...

Check them out

I just ordered a set for My '71 Bus (1776 engine).

I was attracted by the method he uses to re-bush the throttle shafts and that he taps for distributor vacuum. Big benefit is his sets are cheaper than new ones with the loose throttle shafts and no vacuum port.

Will report on performance when they are in and tested on the road.

August 15, 2010, 10:12:37 AM
Reply #3

Offline CatBox

• Volkster
  • Hebmuller
you should also make a note of just how long it takes for them to arrive.

the feedback on AJ from thedramba.com says that it can take somewhere from two weeks to wholly crap i paid for those along time ago...

that was one reason i purchased the new throttle base plates instead of sending them out to be redone.
The worst performance mod is whatever you're limited to because you convinced yourself (or others) that anything bigger or faster was too extreme for a street car.

September 13, 2010, 10:49:48 AM
Reply #4

Offline sdebaker

• Volkster
  • Mark ll
I got the carbs and put them on my '71 Bus with a 1776 engine. Bus runs MUCH better than with my old, used Kads. No flat spot on acceleration. Don't know if this is just due to proper facility for hooking up vacuum advance, less air leaking around throttle shafts, new accelerator-pump diaphragms, more-appropriate jetting (I paid extra for non-stock jets), proper fuel pressure, or something else in better condition than used carbs. Smoother idle.

In the process, as emphasized in the directions from Kaddie Shack, I adjusted the fuel pressure down. My stock pump was putting out about 5 psi. With an adjustable regulator, I got it to a little under 2 psi. I think this is important. It appears my previous Kadrons were usually running rich, due to excessive fuel pressure pushing fuel past the float valves and into the air stream.

Carb shafts are much tighter than original or even new Kads. Just like they should be. Both carbs drilled and fitted with distributor-vacuum fittings.

Initially, I'm pleased with them, but haven't had the long-term experience to fully evaluate the installation. Maybe there will be more to report, later.

Any problems I had were not with the carbs, but with the outside-supplier components.

Biggest PIA is the Scat linkage.

First, the Scat levers on carb shafts don't clear the hoses on the vacuum outlets on the manifolds. Since my Bus is a 1971, it has power brakes. Need this vacuum attachment. I had to file the ends of the levers, and position the ends of the hoses outward so they have a rather tenuous grip on the tubes.

Second, the right linkage rod doesn't clear the bottom of the alternator. I had to shim it downward with an extra washer. Then the head of even the slim, button-head bolt that attaches the rods to the bell-crank lever didn't clear the brace between the base of the bell-crank pivot and the fan shroud. Had to grind and file a substantial relief in this brace.

The air filters do not come with a base with a fitting for the crankcase-breather hose. I used that part from an old, Kadron-air-filter assembly. Also, the filters are a little tall to go over the studs sticking up from the carbs (limited vertical clearance in a Bus engine compartment). Needed to deform them to get them on the carbs. Not something I like to do repeatedly.

Yes, delivery time was longer than agreed upon -- about an extra week.

September 13, 2010, 12:09:47 PM
Reply #5

Offline CatBox

• Volkster
  • Hebmuller
Good write up the man.

The extra week is worth gold when that is all that it is, not three months to a lot more.  Just ask Mark, but his is a special application.

The SCAT linkage that I have was given to me well used and already abused, but once I tweaked it back it has performed flawlessly with no need to re-adjust it unless it has been removed from the carb.

September 14, 2010, 07:14:42 AM
Reply #6

Offline LooseNuts

• Mark V
I will let you guys know how my experience goes with Jeff from Kattie Shack in the next day or so.  So far, not the worst but not the greatest yet either , and am in hopes it works out.  :dontknow:

September 27, 2010, 08:11:28 AM
Reply #7

Offline sdebaker

• Volkster
  • Mark ll
I have a few-hundred miles on the engine (1776), now, with the Kaddy Shack carbs. Runs fairly  well. Two concerns I have: fuel economy and idle variation.

On a freeway run at 65-75 mph, I got 17 mpg. Around town, mixed street and freeway driving, I got a little under 18 mpg. No load. This seems low to me. I contacted Jeff about this. He didn't have a definitive answer whether this was low or not.

After a good freeway run, the idle stays high by about 500-1000 rpm for a few minutes. Then it very-gradually drops to the correct level, or even below that. I even have a return spring on the second carb (he only ships with return-spring on one carb, but recommends spring on the other one). This may be due to the linkage, but I can't find any binding or interference.

September 27, 2010, 08:26:41 AM
Reply #8

Offline BuginU2

• President
  • Volkster
  • Hebmuller
  • Geheimpolizei
Paul - check your plugs to see if you are running too rich. I think my kadrons are finally dialed in on my 1835cc. I got 25 mpg at 70mph on my trip to Yakima. My in-town milage it about 17.

I was about to add an O2 sensor to keep an eye on my mixture.  Oh yeah, I backed my accelerator pump adjustment nut off as it seemed to be dumping fuel.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

September 27, 2010, 09:42:58 AM
Reply #9

Offline CatBox

• Volkster
  • Hebmuller
I dont get the best milage with my kadrons, but I have never went after it beyond a decent running engine.

There is plenty of fiddling to do with them that I just never went about doing.  Installing a wide band O2 sensor with Air/Fuel meter and tuning it for optimum levels is what I will do after my new motor is built, but it will also run much bigger Dellorto 45's so the mileage will mean more to me as they drink my gas when I abuse my gas pedal.

Oh and my car has the weird thing going on with the linkage also.  When its good and hot it tends to idle at 1100 rpm;s instead of 850 like it is set to.

September 27, 2010, 10:32:47 AM
Reply #10

Offline TotallyVW

• Treasurer
  • Volkster
  • Hebmuller
    • http://rosecityvolksters.com
When I had the Kads on my 'Vert the idle would elevate when warm.  I was running stock Kadron linkage (1776cc too).
Mark

1967 Convertible
1967 Ragtop (really)-SOLD IT!
1967 Standard Bus
1974 Thing
1977 Rabbit

September 29, 2010, 07:37:09 AM
Reply #11

Offline Kev

• Volkster
  • Hebmuller
When I had the Kardons on my 1968cc motor I got high 20's on milage.  At a minimum 25mpg.  You should be getting better then the teens unless it's a bus.  Even with my webber 40's I still got 20+ mpg.
"Our Faster is Faster than their Faster" as seen on a local motorcycle company truck...

September 29, 2010, 08:56:37 AM
Reply #12

Offline sdebaker

• Volkster
  • Mark ll
When I had the Kardons on my 1968cc motor I got high 20's on milage.  At a minimum 25mpg.  You should be getting better then the teens unless it's a bus.  Even with my webber 40's I still got 20+ mpg.

It is a Bus. Bay window, 1971.

September 29, 2010, 06:49:16 PM
Reply #13

OldsCool

Are you talking about the bug my dad Bought? because that engine was a 1904 74 x 90.5, although it is now a 2007 78 x 90.5 with an Ingle 125 cam and 1.25 rockers on 40 x 35.5 heads and Webber 40s  :2up: But it did get great Mileage. And it is going to live in a 70 bay Window here very shortly.   :driving:

September 29, 2010, 08:07:19 PM
Reply #14

Offline CatBox

• Volkster
  • Hebmuller
yer just coping Mark now...

:cheers:

:rotflmao:

Facebook Comments